Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Have an engineering background? Use it to directly and ethically impact the experience of thousands of patients every day and around the world! We are looking for a Senior Machine Learning Engineer with creative ideas in artificial intelligence, visual analysis, data storage, security and the production experience to prove it.
What You'll Do
You will work on a variety of innovative and meaningful projects, from developing vision machine learning algorithms for applications such as patient monitoring, to building a training infrastructure for the core machine learning platform. Your solutions will make a significant impact in patients' healing experience and how the caretakers monitor patient well-being.
Who You Are
You’re creative. You’re organized. You’re experienced. You’ve done this before. You want to do it again. We’re not looking for a superhero who thinks sheer hours = good work. Excess doesn’t impress us – creativity and efficiency do. You’ll have 8 hours a day to work, and, we hope, at least 8 hours a night to sleep.
You are a passionate software engineer with a deep understanding of what makes live, highly scalable platforms. You care deeply about bringing your unique engineering mind into creating a considerate and sustainable team and product.
You are autonomous - a manager of one. You enjoy working alone, you can make your own decisions and you will take full ownership of your work, assuming the responsibility for every detail, every step of the way.
You are a solid writer. You document your every decision so you don't just save the day, but make the lives of your future teammates easier.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 4 years of work experience or equivalent production-level experience with developing Machine Learning pipelines.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: C/C++ or Python.
- Experience with visual recognition, classification, insight generation and similar.
- We are at the cutting edge of deep learning applications. The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of the under the hood fundamentals of deep learning (layer details, backpropagation, etc). Additional requirements include the ability to read and implement related academic literature and experience in applying state of the art deep learning models to computer vision (e.g. segmentation, detection)
- Experience with PyTorch, or at least another major deep learning framework such as TensorFlow, MXNet.
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or related technical field.
We work remotely and asynchronously, and that is why we are looking for a manager of one. But you will need to overlap for a few hours with San Francisco time in your normal work-day routine - this may mean a few hours of meetings in the evening depending on your time zone - we do our best to keep them short. We can provide you with space outside of your home to work if you need to (e.g. co-working offices), or help get your home to be more accommodating to work.
We do not trap people in front of their screens or lock them in overtime. Just the opposite. We’re all about reasonable working hours and ample vacation time. See our employee handbook here.
How To Apply
We want to get a sense of how you think and work. To that end, please be prepared to share with us your take on the following:
- Tell us what you know about machine learning. How would you begin to approach figuring out where we stand with our technology, and where we should be standing?
- Chart us an example of a machine learning pipeline that can support the needs of modern applications (related to detecting a person's activity)
- What technologies inspired you recently? What machine learning technologies are you the most excited about?
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our company. Ouva is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.
We value great writers, so take your time with the application and put thought into your cover letter if you are writing one, but keep it fewer than 1500 words. Tell us why you want this job, not just any job.
We can’t wait to hear from you!