Graphics Engineer, Simulation
Have an engineering background? Use it to directly and ethically impact the experience of thousands of patients every day and around the world! We are looking for a Graphics Engineer to accelerate the pace at which Ouva Machine Learning models improve by developing synthetic data tools.
What You'll Do
You will take over the existing synthetic data projects and improve them to be more realistic and automated. Our machine learning engineers will use them efficiently to generate thousands of gigabytes of data.
As a Graphics Engineer, you will contribute to developing hospital room simulation datasets by enabling and supporting the creation of photo-realistic 3D scenes that can accurately model the patient experience in a wide range of lighting conditions and sensor variances. You will be working across teams to provide graphics technology that can create high-fidelity scenes and enables the faithful reproduction of hospital environments in simulation.
You will also maintain the existing Ouva patient experience platform built to improve the Sensory experience in Children's Hospitals.
Who You Are
You're creative. You're organized. You're experienced. You've done this before. You want to do it again. We're not looking for a superhero who thinks mere hours = good work. Excess doesn't impress us – creativity and efficiency do. We hope you'll have 8 hours a day to work and at least 8 hours a night to sleep.
You are a passionate software engineer who has immense attention to graphics details. You care deeply about bringing your unique engineering mind into creating a considerate, sustainable team and product.
You are autonomous - a manager of one. You enjoy working alone, you can make your own decisions, and you will take full ownership of your work, assuming responsibility for every detail step.
You are a solid writer. You document your every decision in English, so you don't just save the day but make the lives of your future teammates easier.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Extensive experience with Unity3D and familiarity with Unreal Engine.
- Good understanding of shader languages.
- Fluent in C# and Dot NET.
- Experience with multi-threaded programming.
- Strong mathematics skills, including proficiency with trigonometry and linear algebra.
- Deep understanding of tradeoffs in engine performance, scalability, and maintainability.
- Familiar with supporting tools, such as exporters, terrain editors, and pipeline tools.
- Comfortable working within and analyzing/improving an established code base.
- Experience researching, developing, and optimizing CPU and GPU rendering techniques.
- Understanding of lighting techniques that contribute to the realism, including but not limited to Global Illumination and Ambient Occlusion.
We work remotely and asynchronously, which is why we are looking for a manager of one. But you will need to overlap for a few hours with San Francisco time in your regular work-day routine - this may mean a few hours of meetings in the evening depending on your time zone - we do our best to keep them short. We can provide you with space outside of your home to work if you need to (e.g., co-working offices) or help get your home to be more accommodating to work.
We do not trap people in front of their screens or lock them in overtime. Just the opposite. We're all about reasonable working hours and ample vacation time. See our employee handbook here.
How To Apply
We want to get a sense of how you think and work. To that end, please be prepared to share with us your take on the following:
- Tell us what you care about graphics. How would you start to make an existing scene more realistic?
- What technologies inspired you recently? What new tools and frameworks are you the most excited about?
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our company. Ouva is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.
We value great writers, so take your time with the application and put thought into your cover letter if you are writing one, but keep it to fewer than 1500 words. Tell us why you want this job, not just any job.
We can't wait to hear from you!